The Goodness of Makin' Whoopie

| Posted in | Posted on

4


Whoopie Pies, that is. Last week was my birthday, and Pam had offered to make me a birthday dessert. Obviously, I didn't want to pick something boring like chocolate cake, so I suggested an ice cream cake. Pam flatly refused this request, since it wouldn't require any actual baking, so my second choice was a homemade whoopie pie.

It seems like lately, cupcakes are kind of having a "moment." There are entire bakeries dedicated exclusively to boutique cupcakes, and I've noticed several HGTV reality shows that revolve around the drama of bakeries specializing in cupcakes. Now not to hate on cupcakes or anything (because who doesn't love a good cupcake) but I'm ready for whoopies pies to have their moment in the spotlight. They're so underrated, but equally portable, portion-controlled, convenient to eat without utensils, and possibly even more delicious.

Until this weekend, my only prior experience with whoopie pies were the amazing pumpkin whoopies that my friend Katie Cook makes around Thanksgiving, using her aunt's recipe. I usually make myself sick by eating a half dozen of them in under twenty minutes, because they are so delicious that if you don't eat as many as you can right away, you can guarantee that the plate will be empty when you return to it an hour later.

Apparently, whoopie pies are a northern thing, and they are traditionally chocolate with a marshmallow cream frosting. The other day we were at Crate and Barrel and we picked up a cookbook made up entirely of whoopie pie recipes.


I was amazed at the vast array of flavor combinations that could be produced by combining different cake and frosting combinations. This cookbook had recipes for Red Velvet Whoopies, Gingerbread Whoopies, Lemon Whoopies, Carrot Cake Whoopies, Pumpkin Whoopies, Pistachio-Cardamom Whoopies, and even Jalapeno Cornbread Whoopies. I was particularly intrigued by the recipes for the salted caramel, maple-bacon, rosewater buttercream, root beer, and candied ginger frostings.

But for my birthday, we decided on S'more Whoopies--a graham whoopie filled with chocolate ganache and marshmallow cream frosting. What could be better on a summer night? Especially with a tall glass of ice cold milk.


The trick was finding graham flour for the recipe. (Who knew there even was such a thing?) Though a little time-consuming to make and somewhat messy to assemble, the recipe was a huge hit!


The s'more whoopies tasted exactly like s'mores, except you felt fancier eating them, and they were definitely less messy to eat than the real thing. I'm already ready for s'more whoopie!

Comments (4)

I have never had a whoopie. Can you believe it? But let me tell you, this post convinced me I should try to make some. Do you use Nuttella for the chocolate filling?

No, you make your own chocolate ganache from scratch...so much better than nutella. The recipe's in the book, but you could probably find a chocolate ganache recipe online as well.

wow these look great. there's a new place on chestnut that has whoopies. bekah loved them. you should ask her about them. they look amazing. love the dog post as well.

so... next class, our snacks will include whoopie pies? i mean, i'm sure perfecting your trade is something we'd love to help you with! :)

Post a Comment